Tuesday, April 23, 2013

With my hair slicked back and my black leather boots...


Dear Kara,

You wrote me a funny email recently that I'd love to quote here, but at the risk of Internet-embarrassment, all I'm going to say is that you alluded to a part of you that longs to be a rock star. And I don't know, I just love that admission. Probably because part of me does too. And probably because rock star brings to mind images of the lead singer of Guns N' Roses. And probably also because it's an admission of wanting MORE (excitement, dance, recognition, etc.) from this life when for the most part, we have it so good and we're happy, and blah, blah, blah.

Point being, Matt had to clear my iPod in order to share with me an audiobook he'd downloaded and long story short, I've been going for hikes listening to Matt's music library, which mostly consists of old British punk bands, U2, and the original Broadway recording of Les Miserables. That being said, there are a few outliers on there as well, and this below song by Sinead O'Connor* made me think of you / you as a rock star.

*I feel compelled to acknowledge that Sinead O'Connor is kind of a controversial artist, but I, for one, still appreciate the heck out of her music.**

**This interview/performance on World Cafe is really awesome too.


Rockin' the Casbah***,
Amelia

***sorry, there's just so much of The Clash on my ipod right now.




4/29/13


Dear Amelia,

First, thank you so much for not quoting my email directly!  I remember writing that one, and you have chosen correctly.

Second, I had never heard that S.O.C. song before, and I absolutely loved it.  The lyric strong independent pagan woman is fantastic, and should particularly appeal to my Presbyterian parents. The ending is powerful, beautiful.

I also appreciate the memory of seeing Sinead's controversial performance wherein she ripped up the picture of The Pope on Saturday Night Live. When I found out you and Matt still watched Saturday Night Live, some time ago, I was delirious with reunion. Some part of my 14 year old self was delighted she was not alone in her parents' basement, watching combat-boot-wearing bands and puzzling over the impenetrable Dennis Miller. I gave up my SNL habit some time ago - perhaps around the time I started dating?  (Don't you want to know when that was!)  But I love that you will still occasionally bring up a cast member, and when I find myself in a ski town not quite able to sleep in the hotel bed, I love that watching Fred Armisen freak out on the television makes me think of you.

Anyway, did you know Prince wrote Sinead's big hit, Nothing Compares 2 U?  It's true.  Here is a link to him absolutely killing it wearing a cheetah-inspired jumpsuit open at the chest, while a fan blows him up and down the runway.  I mean, stage. 

I'll take Sinead as an art icon any day.  Thank you, Matt's iPod!
XOXO
Kara 

No comments:

Post a Comment